On 11th August 1878 the new Waiareka parish at Enfield was opened for worship. The land for the new church was donated by the Reid family of Elderslie. Enfield Church has been an important part of the Waiareka Valley. In 1901 a separate parish was formed consisting of Enfield, Ngapara and Windsor church's called the Waiareka parish. With the changing fortunes of each district and the tragedy of two world wars in 1964 the parish of Weston and Waiareka were again amalgamated.
In 2001 the 125th Anniversary of the Parish was celebrated in the Enfield church. There was a large gathering of people who remembered the hard work so many people have put into establishing the church and sharing the love of Christ with the community.
The Totara Church which has been closed recently also has a proud history. It was opened on 2nd March 1902 and named St Ninian's after St Ninian of Ireland. St Ninian trained missionaries to go out as far as the Shetland Islands and it is said that it was he that converted the more famous Saint Columba. We have been fortunate to have had many faithful people living in the Totara Church area over the years who maintained and worshipped in the Totara Church.We will always be grateful to them for their commitment to the very end and for the foundation of faithful service and vibrant faith that they laid.
At the beginning services were held in Weston in homes and initially in the public hall. It was not until 1911 that tenders were called for the construction of the Weston Church. On the 3rd November 1911 the foundation stone was laid by Mr Robert Jackson who had a long association, not only with Weston but with all worship centers from the parishes formation. We celebrated 100 years of ministry in 2011.
Over the years there have been fruitful ministries that have developed a significant community church in Weston that has embraced modern worship as well as remaining sensitive to more traditional worship with congregations alternating services at Enfield and Weston.
Waiareka Weston Parish thanks God for the provision of the past, an alive parish ministry to all generations now, and the hope of a growing visionary church in years to come